Florida outdoor 2019/20

Dawn Patrol

Sweaty Farmer
Hey All,

I was wrapping things up last season when I joined here so I haven't really shown anything to this point. I'm a long time smoker ('77) and have been growing off and on since '83.

About 20 years ago I decided to get a serious personal grow going again as I was just not impressed with the herb I could buy on the street and shortly after that my mother was diagnosed with cancer. Those two occurrences originally lead me to OverGrow (where I lurked until it was shut down), some incredibly kind folks in Cali that I met on a business trip and then eventually to ICMag.

I've learned a tremendous amount over the years and have tried to change up and improve at least one aspect of my growing/harvesting/processing gameplan every year and for the most part I have learned, improved and moved on every year. Better techniques, better mixes, better feeds and of course better genetics.

I am in west central Florida so we get very little cold weather here (not enough for my tastes) and that gives me a flowering season from September until mid May.

I usually start seeds and take cuts from mums right about now and this year is no different.

I grow in peat and perlite and one of this years improvements is to add about 10-15% coco to this mix and hopefully get better roots as I am re-using the mix from last year.

I will amend that mix with some dolomite lime, calcium carbonate, gypsum and some bone meal and the plants will be hand watered with raw salts that will be custom mixed in a 20 gallon tank.

I am just wrapping up the final trim of last season's late plants, seed processing and extractions of trim and larf (that may take awhile) so I got started a couple weeks later than I wanted, but that's the way it goes. I have an out of state trip in early September so I don't want to get too far ahead of myself. I have help while I'm gone, but they have black thumbs with documented history to prove it :teeth:

Anyway, I'm kicking this season off with a pheno hunt through some Oaxacan sativa seeds I made from RC_Colas original reproduction, a reproduction effort of some Genius Thai from Mr GT and some F2's of the original Kali Mist stock from Mantis Genetics. If these are viable I will be doing and open pollination/reproduction and then pheno hunting in 2020/21.

Also growing their freebie Kali Mist x Blueberry - got to take a minute to commend them for being stand up vendors and the first two shipments were confiscated and destroyed by customs. They went the extra mile to ship in a different manner and the third shipment was the charm.

Not much to see at this point so the pics will be scant for awhile, got a tent full of mums to play with as well.

Attachments

• DSC_3206.JPG
    DSC_3206.JPG
    165.5 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC_3204.JPG
    DSC_3204.JPG
    282.3 KB · Views: 16
RC Cola...been a long time since i saw that nick. Either my memory failed (again) or i didn't read the sad news.

What year was it that the KaliMist formula got changed? I think that there might b an old cross of beanage in the vault, or mayhaps it was gifted out along the way. The KM became more indica than the original?

Good luck with the sats!

good luck on the Oaxacan pheno hunt. that one you gave me a yr or so ago was really smooth smoke and i wish i had taken her several wks longer. do you remember if the seeds i have are from the same batch of seeds you are doing your hunt with?

RC Cola was to me, my most respected member on any pot boards I've ever been on. I was originally attracted to him due to his love of sativas...not many mess with em, but once I began followin him, hangin out an talkin with him, I quickly began to admire his mannerism, an jus who he really was...really great guy...hurt me to lose him.

I try to never allow regret in my life, cause all those things made me who I am today, but I flaked out on a chance to meet him an few other Canadians back in the early to mid 2000s, an kick myself in the ass everytime I think about it...kicked myself extra hard when we lost him. I really respected an admired that cat...super great guy.

Very happy to hear you have those an have kept em goin...respect, an I'll keep an eye on this thread, thanks for postin it. :popcorn:

Cheers

I had no idea he passed, I swear he just PM'd me within the last 12-18 months over at the mag! he was an awesome guy, I wish I had crossed paths with him sooner.

That really bums me out, I was hoping he still had some more reproductions to spread around.

Good luck this run Amigo!...

Flower from September to May...a saliva growers dream.

Well it's not all as easy as it sounds and I've developed a couple methods to try to maximize the length of the season.

I utilize low voltage landscape lighting in a couple spots to keep plants in vegetative growth throughout the year and then move them to areas that are dark at night to initiate flowering. this lets me stagger harvests and the workload, it just makes it really hard to feed specific strains, especially on new genetics when I don't really know what they want.

There is also a dead spot from mid Dec - mid Jan where all growth really slows significantly due to the short days so I use that period to get lots of cuts rooted and a second mass of seeds started and then it's a race to April/May.

NLD stuff really needs to be started in summer and finished during declining daylight to really finish properly. Some will finish when the days are getting longer in the spring, but I think it has a negative effect on the high. I do know that the same exact cuts finished in the fall and again in the spring can seem to be very different from an effects standpoint.

And then there is the ever changing weather......one thing I learned this past season is that I can only use my grow bags during the height of winter, they just dry out too fast in the fall and spring and I'm not typically at my spot every day.

RC Cola...been a long time since i saw that nick. Either my memory failed (again) or i didn't read the sad news.

What year was it that the KaliMist formula got changed? I think that there might b an old cross of beanage in the vault, or mayhaps it was gifted out along the way. The KM became more indica than the original?

Good luck with the sats!

https://www.cannabiscupwinners.com/cupwinners/the-strains/83-k/330-kalimist-serious-seeds.html

"In 2000 Kalimist was improved to produce bigger yields. In Spain it proved to be very mould resistant, even outside during bad weather. Without a doubt the choice for connoisseur stash. Kali Mist gives a very strong, clear and energizing high."

I've seen many reports over the years from growers who were disappointed in the "improvement" of this strain, and most of the seed stock that I could find recently was very old, when vendors would even answer the question - most dodged it or ignored it.

There have been a couple strains I've sought since I started growing again and I've never been satisfied with any of them that I was able to find. I'm prepared to be disappointed with this one, but I gotta give it a go, so fingers crossed!

good luck on the Oaxacan pheno hunt. that one you gave me a yr or so ago was really smooth smoke and i wish i had taken her several wks longer. do you remember if the seeds i have are from the same batch of seeds you are doing your hunt with?

I forgot I gave that one to you - YES those are the same beans I'm hunting through. I'm sure it's gonna take a bunch of seed, but I'm hoping to find 2-3 nice girls to work with in the future. I'm excited to think what a good dose of calcium is gonna do to those plants! They're gonna want to be 25' tall so the plant is to put them into larger 7 gallon pots and then top and top and top and bush them out with tomato cages for support and to keep them under 6'.

They're gonna be a nightmare to move if I have to....

Sorry, my mistake, there is a RC Colas on IC...I have no clue who that guys is, I've never really hung out there...I jus used to enjoy their POTM threads. RC Cola is who I was referencin, Canadian dude who followed a lot of us through the Cannabis Culture days to UTG/UDG, then passed away few years back...he was a sativa guy, an like I say, not many are, so I assumed...an I made an ass of myself...sorry.

No worries [MENTION=3788]Annaba[/MENTION], really surprised that two people used that handle but they sound like two very like minded growers! RC_Colas is one of the people I really look up to for his extensive knowledge of Central and South American genetics.

One thing that sucks about only knowing people online is that they often pass from our lives quite quickly. When I first started posting on ICMag I received a message from a member offering cuts and seeds. TOS did not allow that and it really threw me for awhile and made me paranoid as hell. As it turns out it was one of the most kind hearted and giving individuals that I ever knew. He honestly just wanted everyone to grow fire, nothing more, nothing less.

Lost him out of the blue last year, RIP Dansbuds.

Does the oax contain wld?

and yes a good kali mist is a great thing..never had one..and certainly wouldn't want it going towards wld

Does the oax contain wld?

and yes a good kali mist is a great thing..never had one..and certainly wouldn't want it going towards wld

That's one of the reasons I want to get this started early and run through a bunch of the seed. From what I've been told by RC_Colas there isn't any WLD in the mix, but that's only going by what he was told.

When I grew the original seeds out I was bummed because a lot of the small plants had fairly wide leaves but as they matured the got thinner and more NLD looking. the effects were certainly NLD leaning.

Here's a pic of a leaf from Bubba Royale (Verdant Green P98 bubba kush S1 x Aficionado Long Valley Royal Kush F10 male) made by a buddy of mine from the great white north and a leaf from one of the Oaxacan girls next to it.

Bubba R and Oaxacan leaves.jpg

Slow progress

Not much to show you guys, watching seeds come out of the dirt is exciting, but doesn't make for great pics.

I reworked my seed/clone area at the spot, and hung some spiffy new LED tubes instead of flouros. It's hot as hell in there already and adding any heat from a light source is bad, these LED tubes are bright and emit virtually no heat.

Took a trip and visited morcheeba and hugh midity last week and came home with some brand new cuts to play with. Always a pleasure to visit with those guys and burn a few.

Attachments

• DSC_3266.jpg
    DSC_3266.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC_3269.jpg
    DSC_3269.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 3
OK I'm pulling up my lazy-boy for this winters grow. I've never had much luck outdoors down here in the swamps. Wishing you good growing & great harvests!

OK I'm pulling up my lazy-boy for this winters grow. I've never had much luck outdoors down here in the swamps. Wishing you good growing & great harvests!

Good to see ya Brother, got a lot going on this year. Working on my seed plan this evening and trying to figure out how to get to everything I want to get to....

Was cleaning pots up and found the fungi, really wish I had my macro lens with me to get better shots, they are quite interesting.

Went to the spot to work today, I just checked these pineapples Saturday and was going to give them another week. Apparently the squirrels decided they were ready.....

Attachments

• DSC_3271.jpg
    DSC_3271.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC_3273.jpg
    DSC_3273.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC_3275.jpg
    DSC_3275.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 2
Found those shrooms years ago in a bag of soil . Not hard to get rid of , just pull `em before the veil breaks .
peace

i enjoyed the visit as well as the gift bag of seeds and bud to try. ive smoked both the suneshine daydream & gg4 x dragons blood and both work really well on my spasms. the gg4 x dragons blood tasted very similar to dragons blood, i cant put a flavor on it but its different and good.

also, im sure i made the mistake on labeling it DB Hashplant but it was just Dragons Blood F2 sent in by Bakedbeanz a while back. i need to get to the rest of those seeds b/c the ones i grew were amazing. they didnt start to show flower until 4 wks in flower and taken at 70 days the high was great that lasted more than 3 hr before it started to ease up. the crazy thing is there was no cloudy or amber trichs, all clear and to have that good of a high/med relief surprised me.

those rodents do take a toll on your garden.

I was thinking today to ask if anything I brought worked for you, that's really good to know. I have some Dragons blood seed and it's getting old so it's on the schedule for reproduction this fall/winter.

I have the best SSDD cut I found, once I get some more going I'll make sure to get you some to grow. Nice to know that there's more than just TT to ease your spasms.

I also have the best GG4 x DB cut as well, that's on the list to pheno hunt in 2021 :laugh:

I did pick those fungus today and brought them back to get some good macro shots. I don't know what it is, but it's pretty. Notice how much it started to dry out in the A/C after a couple hours.....

Attachments

• pysharp_sup0_en_al2.jpg
    pysharp_sup0_en_al2.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 4
  • pysharp_sup0_en_al5.jpg
    pysharp_sup0_en_al5.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 4
a lot of stuff works well on my spasms at first but the true test is how well it will work once im smoking on it for a week or so but the first impression is good.

Back