Memories of your first grow, or most memorable grow.

Knighthawk

I don’t know about you folks but the first time I grew weed was more memorable than the first time I had sex. I thought I would share my first adventure with you all in hopes you might share yours. Maybe it isn't your first but maybe it is your most memorable.

The 90’s are like the 60’s for me, I have a hard time connecting the timeline onto all of my memories but I am pretty sure it was the summer of 95 and I had just turned 18. A few months earlier a guy we will call “Chief” because his grandfather was a fairly famous Indian Chief, asked me if I wanted to buy a bag of Paonia Purple that had a LOT of seeds in it. I immediately said yes. I think it must have been the bottom of a pound or something because it was literally a bunch of shake and seeds. Back then we were smoking a lot of what we called mid-grade that was grown outdoor in places like New Mexico. The weed wasn’t bricked and was fairly decent but having the bottom of a Paonia Purple bag was even better.
I decided I was going to put the seeds out in early April. So late March I put 120 seeds into a paper towel and had over 100 pop. I took the strongest 100 seedlings up into the hills and buried them shallow in a three-foot area and then made a mound of dirt around the areas so that when I laid some clear plastic over area the plastic would rest on the mound and hang over the seedlings. I used some sticks to stake the plastic down. This made a great little green house that worked very well. It actually snowed a couple times while they were in there and they grew fine (My theory back then was if they got a taste of the cold weather as seedlings, they might better handle the cold weather later in the season). After the seedlings rose up out of the dirt I transplanted each one individually to a place in the garden where they would each have room to grow.
At first I was hiking water up there but then I built a cool system with milk jugs and vinyl tubing. I cut the bottom out of 1 gallon plastic milk containers and spray painted them green. I connected two milk jugs to each other with a long vinyl hose that ran from one end of each patch to the other and hung the milk jugs up so they would catch the rain water. I poked several little holes into the vinyl tubing so the water would slowly drip into the garden. I also filled the milk jugs up with nutrient water whenever I hiked up there so it would slow feed. It actually rained a lot the entire second half of the season so I didn’t have to take very much water up there.
During the veg period I used a basic two part organic fertilizer that I would take up about once a week. That stuff stank bad and would immediately draw bees and wasps to the reservoir after I poured it in. I also bought a bunch of rock phosphate. I had read in Mel Franks book that rock phosphate was a great source of phosphorous and that it is impossible to burn the plants with rock phosphate because they consume it as they need it. The instructions on the rock phosphate said that as the little pebbles slowly broke down it would increase the phosphorous available to the plant by a certain percentage each year. So, I decided to boil the rock phosphate pebbles down for several hours until they were all dissolved and made one gallon of super potent phosphate water. Each time I went up there during the veg period I would put about a cup of the phosphate tincture in with the organic nutrients I was using. By the time the plants started budding I had put all the rock phosphate into the beds. For some reason I didn’t fertilize after they started budding. I like to think that adding the rock phosphate like this is what gave me such great results because it made all the rock phosphate immediately available to the plant instead of waiting six years for it to break down completely and the plants grew great buds.
Out of the 100 seedlings I took up there, about 80 got to a good start. So I sowed another 30 seeds hoping to have 100 plants. 20 of those grew well but were several weeks behind the others. After removing the males, I had right around 60 large females in the main patch and 20 smaller females down below.
As I think about it in hindsight, the plants grew so well that I wouldn’t have done anything differently, other than not showing the people I showed the garden to. I thought they were my friends and that we were all on the same side when it came to herb. Needless to say, they stole all but five plants that I had further off from the main patch. I made somebody super rich that year. What is even worse is that I had planned to give all my trimmings to my “friends” mom to make tincture for aids patients. Guess she decided that she wanted it all (or rather they didn’t want me to have it). They also stole my dog that same season.
The fall of 95 was pretty devastating to me and I didn’t grow again for quite some time because of it.
So that’s my first grow story, what is yours?

Last edited:
My first grow was as a Sophmore in high school, 1999, me and a buddy.
Guerilla outdoors in the middle of an urban county area. it's actually hilarious how close our spot was to houses. Just a little patch of woods and a creek. not too much direct sunlight.
We would go down there before school and haul water from the creek.
1 plant did well and yielded maybe 3 Oz which was pretty epic to us. Nice Christmas tree plant, Mexican bagseed; a couple other plants had maybe a half ounce each.
Had some Polaroids of it. put them on Cworld but they are gone with most of my old pics.

The next year we ordered seeds from Emery. DP Flo, GWN Lethal Purple, Reeferman Bubblegum, and Mighty Mite. had about 6 or 7 plants that made it. none much over an ounce. The Flo was the favorite

The year after that we tried again but someone found it and tore everything down. never went back to that spot again.

Last edited:
I was already into plants but once I found a couple bag seeds and planted them I caught the fever. I had no idea about flower times or males vs females or what but I got lucky and moved this outside after a while in the window and it smoked and got you high! I was sold after that.
3238EA5C-7538-4C03-99E4-E23C8C5589BD.jpeg

I had been on the forums for a while before attempting or having an area for my first grow. I couldnt wait to get started and grabbed c99f2, paradise seeds sensi star, and bogglegum from a seed vendor around 2001. It wasnt until I moved out of the college dorms in 2002 that I was able to set up a grow. I looked for rentals that had a suitable space and hit the jackpot. This rare stand alone house in the area had a big unfinished basement that had a main room and also a 6ftx8ft utility room attached with a window. There was a very old book case in the utility room we removed and placed in front of the door which made it seem like the room didnt exist. We outfit it with 2 x 600w hps and used the foxfarm line. Only wound up with 2 females that time. One c99 and one bogglegum. I was obsessed with c99 and the lore behind it. Harvest was such a treat. The real standout was the bogglegum though. I remember it smelling and tasting just like grape bubblegum. It was insane. Thanks for making me think about this. Such a great memory.

Back